Sunday, March 22, 2009

More lessons!


It's all about attachment. When talking with a client this week, she had the realization that in living a faith-based life, the difference between expectancy and expectation is attachment. Expectancy is about looking for the good in life while expectation is often hoping that what we want will show up. Hoping is about waiting while faith encourages patience.


Another way of saying it is that expectation comes from the mind and expectancy comes from the soul. If I let go of attachment, I open up the realm of opportunity. The more attached I am, the more restricted life seems to be.


I think this is one of the more difficult life lessons. I have not been feeling well since I got back from Israel. My expectation is that this virus should be over by now. So every day it is not better, I become more impatient. If I choose to have an expectancy of feeling better, I am not attached to time line or conditions but maybe would appreciate the opportunity to slowdown. That would be much easier than listening to all the whining going on. Now if I will only listen to my own advice…

2 comments:

Lynn said...

What a wonderful insight! Thank you so much for sharing this... I woke up this morning focused on the question of what it means to have low expectations of oneself, and did some good journal writing about it. Then I read your post! I love my new mantra:
" I live in expectancy of God's love in my life"

J.R. Johansson said...

Very good points! Thanks for the lessons!