Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Mountain of Doubt

It’s our two year anniversary of being in our new home. We love it and always feel such gratitude for it. But I remember when we were in the closing process when I began to feel a hesitant and uncertain about our purchase—maybe we were making a hasty decision. Then there were reservations about the paperwork. Suddenly it became this mountain of doubt, wondering about my ability to buy a loaf of bread let alone a house!! (By the way, I am grateful for my patient, non-judgmental husband who lets me work through my process!!)

Doubt is debilitating, disempowering and diminishing. Doubt makes us afraid to take a step forward in fear of what would happen. What if I make the wrong decision? What if things don’t work out? ‘What if’ is similar to the energizer bunny; it keeps going and going and going… It saps our energy and renders us ineffective.

How do we overcome this mountain of doubt? Faith. Faith is defined as believing unconditionally. Faith is knowing that the next step I take will lead me closer to my goal. Faith is believing that whatever I need will be provided. Faith is a deep conviction of belief.

Deepening faith doesn’t happen overnight. It is monitoring our emotions, reprogramming old thoughts into new ones. It is picking ourselves up when we feel beaten down or finding something to be grateful for in the midst of challenges.

Ernest Holmes states in the Science of Mind, “In order to have faith, we must have a conviction that all is well. In order to keep faith, we must allow nothing to enter our thought which will weaken the conviction.” I am grateful for tools to scale the mountain of doubt and find peace in the midst of uncertainty. Blessings for a peaceful and faith-filled journey.

No comments: