Saturday, January 10, 2009

Walking is a Spiritual Necessity

I think I stopped walking outside after the time changed in November. It suddenly became very dark, cold and wet. It was a pain to find a time to walk in what little daylight there was. It was too cold and wet to venture out. So I moved my exercise program indoors and was very proud of myself. That lasted oh, about 45 days. Until I hurt my back. Exercise dwindled and so did my spirits. Then the snow came. There was really no point in going outside.

One day I realized that I only went out to run errands. I avoided going out for any length of time. I missed fresh air, my brisk walk, my spiritual ritual. One day last week I suited up with rain gear and boots, scarf and gloves and ventured out for an early morning walk. It felt glorious. Our beautiful neighborhood was even more spectacular. The walk felt invigorating.

Fresh air is freedom, joy, beauty and a spiritual necessity.

1 comment:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I couldn't agree more, yet if my walking partner isn't available, I find every excuse in the book not to do it, then suffer miserably!