Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ouch!

I was in class last week and make an off-handed political comment that I felt was harmless. The next day one of the class members called and shared her feelings about what I had said. I apologized and could completely relate because I had been offended when I was in the company of others with political differences and heard their hurtful comments. Really, I know better than that.

Later that day I recalled my previous blog post quoting President Obama quoting scripture..."it is time to set aside childish things." I realized that remarks like that are the childish things…judgments, criticisms, ridicule, belittling, blame, etc. They do nothing to empower and everything to sap energy.

I received a powerful reminder this week of the power of the word. One I won't forget soon.

2 comments:

J.R. Johansson said...

I totally agree, it is difficult not to be thoughtless of someone's feelings these days--but still we should strive to do it. Words can hurt as much or worse than actions and more people need to be aware of that. I am impressed at your humility. Thanks for sharing!

Lynn said...

I hope you won't be too hard on yourself. I have always known you to speak with love in your heart.